Monday, May 11, 2009

Dylan Berlin Bay of Pigs Invasion

I think this is the right blue.  Since I've been traveling so much I've been afraid I'll miss Berlin itself, so I am happy to say I had a very Berlin week.  Last Tuesday I had dinner with my dad and family friends for his last night.  I had a really nice time with my dad and in a lot of ways his visit reflected how we'll interact in the future when I really don't live at home.  I always love going to my family friends' house and this visit was no exception.  I spoke in German with the mom for a long time which not only allowed for some great German practice but it also allowed me to tell her things without my dad understanding.  We were also lucky enough to see a magic show put on by their 10 year old son and his friend.  Sweet.  

Then on Wednesday I went to Potsdamer Platz which is a very touristy area with big buildings and a mall-ish atmosphere.  I went with a group to see...Star Trek.  I decided to go in support of Charlton to make sure that he didn't die of excitement but I ended up having a blast and yes...going for a second time last night.  I never thought I'd stoop to Trekie level but no shame.  It was so much fun to go to a movie again.

Anyway, this week I also saw several popular museums and on Friday our group went to Potsdam for a bike tour.  Potsdam is in the former GDR and was home to several Prussian monarchs including Frederick the Great.  I can't say this any other way.  Potsdam is the shit!  So many lakes, trees, and castles.  It really reminds me of Minneapolis, save for the castles I guess.  I loved the biking and felt very at ease.  After the excursion I went with a small group to do some Berlin bar hopping...in the pouring rain (it wasn't raining when we left).  Then on Saturday Charlton and I decided we wanted a more low key night than Friday, which prompted the idea of getting a group to go to a jazz club. When I looked up the info for one of the popular jazz clubs I saw ***Special Event***80s Forever...Doors open @ 21:00.  Yes.  It was an 80s cover band.  Such a great time!!! I have to say they weren't quite as good as Tainted Love but hot damn they were close.  Their setlist was a bit odd at times...there was a song about living in a cardboard box, but their last song was Kids in America, which made us all freak out.  

That's about it for now.  My clothes all turned blue in the wash today for no apparent reason.  

Live long and prosper,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment