Thursday, April 9, 2009

Food for Thought

Almost happy Easter!

I'm going to Prague for the weekend with about 10 people from the program.  We're staying in some hostel that we got a great deal at.  Easter is a big deal here and every grocery store has massive Easter sections.  

Yesterday I went with my good family friends to Brandenburg, which was a city in East Germany.  The city still has traces of communism but it is expanding quickly.  It's funny because the old customs building for the former DDR is an Ebay headquarters now.  Anyway, we went to Brandenburg to get their car fixed and after we went to a white asparagus farm.  It was pretty hilarious.  There were wooden statues of white asparagus at the entrance and there were playgrounds for kids, mini shooting galleries, and a huge bouncy thing that I played on for a half an hour with the family's 10 year old son.  We had the asparagus with dinner and it was pretty tasty.  I've been so glad to have these friends here and it's nice because they always make me feel so comfortable and at home.  I'll miss them when I'm in Frankfurt for the summer.  

That was a good food story.  This is a bad one.  Charlton and I were at dinner in my neighborhood the other night and he ordered something that looked good in German.  Then his plate came.  Picture a bunt cake but made of raw beef.  That was the main dish and there was even a nice raw egg in the little hole in the beef cake. . . we both just stared at it for a good minute before we burst out laughing.  He ate it because he was so hungry and handled it much better than I would've.  

All for now--hope all is well!

Ellen

2 comments:

  1. first of all:

    http://boatshoesrule.wordpress.com

    second of all:

    Prague is sweet! You'll love it. I hope the weather there is nice because artists set up stalls on one of the biggest bridges crossing the river and its really cool to peruse their stuff. You'll have to tell me all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah! your friend ordered hackepeter!

    ReplyDelete